Curiosity is seeking a seasoned, collaborative and communicative Director of Strategy & Insights. We’re looking for someone eager to take the next step in her/his planning career, who brings with them a well-developed strategic toolkit, rich research rigor including leading qual and quant research, social measurement and analytics, killer planning chops including social platform experience, creative intuition that can bring the voice of reason to inform client choices as well as having expertly honed their people and client management skills. This is a critically important position for our agency. This person reports into the VP of Strategy with direct responsibility for a client business or portfolio. You’d partner with Curiosity leaders across Brand, Creative, Media and Production teams. Likely, you’ll be asked to serve as a strategic lead across other integrated partner agencies, too.
How Will I Know?
- You’ve got 10+ years of experience as an agency strategist or in a client-side brand planning team and have a portfolio that demonstrates your mastery of strategic planning skills **A significant portion of your career has been spent within an agency environment (required)
- Expert-level fluency across many languages of strategic planning, such as brand strategy, account planning, creative strategy, product marketing, innovation, social strategy, communications planning, content strategy, digital strategy, or multicultural marketing
- You have personally led findings that created actionable audience, cultural, market or white space opportunities that have made business and cultural impact
- You pride yourself on being a great storyteller, presenter, facilitator, interviewer, moderator and researcher and enjoy mentoring others on these skillsets as well
- You’ve fostered strong client relationships and demonstrated an innate ability to understand the complexities of your clients’ businesses—so much so that you’ve got former senior (VP-level or higher) marketing clients willing to sing your praises
- You’ve got a demonstrated fluency in understanding clients’ approach to research, including the metrics they’ve prioritized and the methodologies and partners they’ve historically deployed as well as knowledge of other alternatives in your back pocket to efficiently help provide alternative solutions when needs arise
- Ambiguity or complexity doesn’t scare you; you’ve got a strong ability to be efficient, resourceful and gather, analyze and synthesize information and lead others to make informed decisions
- You collaboratively can build concise and conversational creative briefs that inspire great work... in your sleep
- You’ve proven yourself to be a trusted, effective, and imaginative leader; you’ve managed team members directly and inspired them to achieve their best work
- You’ve got a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area of study, including advertising, public relations, journalism, sociology, anthropology, or psychology; preference given to candidates with Master’s or other advanced degrees, or a demonstrated academic curiosity through other coursework
- You’re interested in joining an independent creative boutique that has an entrepreneurial start up spirit and has twice been recognized as part of AdAge’s Small Agency of the Year list and was recently named to Outside Magazine’s Best Places to Work
What You’ll Do:
- Provide leadership and management for the Curiosity Strategy offering to an entire or multiple clients or portfolio
- Immediately develop deep client relationships, serving as a virtual extension of their marketing teams; more importantly, be the first person our client partners want to bounce an idea off of or from whom they seek out counsel—in this role, our expectation is that you’ll quickly become the de facto strategic consultant to a Chief Marketing Officer- or Chief Brand Officer-level client
- Partner with the VP of Strategy and the President to help evolve the overall strategic offering for Curiosity and expand our toolkits, analytic capabilities, IMC process and ensure our scopes of work accurately reflect the process and rigor needed to deliver strategic deliverables
- Partner with our Brand, Media and Social leaders to not only effectively service client needs, but to galvanize organic growth, and to pitch and win new business with a high win-rate
- Fluidly partner with our Creative team leaders to inspire, rationalize, validate and champion creativity and business moving ideas that impact culture
- Manage one or more Strategists directly, taking ownership for the overall quality of strategic planning across your portfolio; providing mentorship and day-to-day management; and taking responsibility for their ongoing career planning, goal setting, and performance assessment
- Author thoughtful, provocative thought leadership pieces and proactively seek out industry publishing or speaking opportunities; expected to publish or speak externally multiple times per year
- Push beyond traditional client marketing relationships to help expand Curiosity’s role deeper into the organization—potentially across internal insights, innovation, media, and analytics
- Other duties as assigned
Who Is Curiosity?
Curiosity is a fast-growing independent creative solutions agency with four superpowers: strategy, creative, media, and analytics, all driven by curiosity. We use our extreme curiosity to strategically solve business and marketing challenges for courageous clients such as Procter & Gamble, Native, Brooks Running, and Western & Southern Financial Group. Recognized by The International Webby Awards for Top Social Media Campaign, Communication Arts for Digital Advertising, The Cincinnati Business Courier as a Best Place to Work. The agency also just won a Campaign US Agency of the Year Award for Best Business Development Team and a Campaign US Media Award for Best Integrated Storytelling Campaign, not to mention an AdAge Small Agency of the Year award. We ask the right questions to solve the right challenges because we believe curiosity is the key to unlocking the right solutions.