As VP, Strategy, you will bridge the gap between timeless branding and timely touchpoints in order to make Curiosity iconic. Leading the strategic epicenter for the agency both internally and externally, this individual will champion award winning ideas, create thought leadership, nurture clients and talent in equal fashion and become a trusted visionary for the agency and its clients. Supporting both new business and current clients, the growth, health and innovation of the agency is a primary responsibility. The following are elements to this success: .
- Finding the ultimate nexus between culture, insights, brand storytelling and business opportunities
- Creating and implementing a new vision for the Strategy practice
- Development of Strategy team members into superstars
- Defining/refining the strategic process at Curiosity
- Leading the strategic collaboration between creative and media
- Working against the goal of award winning work - Cannes, Effies
- Supporting the vision and strategy of the agency
- Development of client relationships (new and current)
- Leverage data and tools to build into rich insights and forming a symbiotic relationship with the Analytics team
- Cultivating innovation practices within the agency
- Published in journals, podcasts and diverse media forums
- Key member of the leadership team
Specific position responsibilities include:
Strategic Thinking & Output
- Lead/Own/Oversee the strategy development for all brand, communication, and campaign initiatives for all clients and new business prospects.
- Ultimately, held accountable for the success of Curiosity's work product using a data-driven approach to insight and KPI development.
- Collaborate in/Lead the development of channel and media strategies for all clients and new business prospects.
- Lead/Own/Oversee the strategy development for any internal agency initiatives.
- Lead/Own/Oversee all research projects conducted on behalf of clients or the agency, including the procurement and management of external partners.
- Regularly provides ad-hoc innovative strategic solutions and new ideas.
Process & Tools
- Develop/Refine and implement the overarching strategic process at Curiosity, and specifically for branding, creative campaign/idea development, media/comms channel planning, social media and experiential (IRL and digital).
- Partner with leaders in each function to design and optimize strategic processes for each function/output.
- Develop and maintain a way (process, tools) to attain relevant trends to inform all strategic work out of the agency.
- Own the success of the brief - its structure, inputs and application.
- Develop and maintain a suite of tools necessary for the practice to be successful. Partner with leaders in the respective functions that will share the tools with Strategy.
Leadership and Team Building
- Key member of the leadership team; and strong communication and relationship with executive leadership.
- Determines staffing plans for Strategy team based on client needs and business dynamics. Partners with President to make key staffing decisions.
- Helps direct reports establish and maintain positive relationship with internal departments.
- Responsible for coaching, mentoring and supporting the Strategy team, successfully delivering growth and development for direct reports.
- Aids in continuous improvement of agency capabilities and processes.
- Models the behavior guided by our values and culture at Curiosity.
- Serves as an external representative/thought leader of Curiosity’s views on business/brand strategy, consumer strategies and corporate responsibility.
- Focuses on establishing and maintaining specific client relationships as set forth by the account leader or agency leadership.
- Gains respect of clients as a valued leader and strategic consultant.
- Develops a deep understanding of the clients’ industries, business challenges, competitive landscape and strategy.
- Leads critical strategy presentations to clients and appropriately defend the work/POV of the agency.
- Partnering with the President, responsible for budget management for team staffing and investments (training, recognition, conferences, etc.).
- Creates or provides input to client proposals.
- Develop, support and negotiates contracts with vendors for Strategy team.
- Partner/Support in revenue forecasting and oversight of profitability on Strategy projects.
- 15+ years of marketing, advertising or branding experience, at least five of those years within an agency. Integrated agency experience with a focus in advertising campaign strategy is ideal.
- Ability to think strategically and identify critical details and opportunities that make the most difference in the vision of the work.
- Demonstrated ability to uncover relevant and actionable stories in data to create unique whitespace.
- Being a part of award-winning work (Effie, Cannes, One Show) is a huge plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to flex communication style based on the specific client, colleague or need.
- Excellent presentation skills, with an ability to command a room and deliver desired outcomes.
- Deep understanding of the creative process, including projects from big idea creative campaign development to digital-first initiatives with conversion KPIs.
- Experience in leading or partnering in the development of media strategies for all major digital platforms, as well as traditional media.
- Ability to effectively manage tension and difficult conversations within relationships, steeped in empathy, critical thinking and ability to deliver the best possible outcome.
- Willingness to manage the fine details of a project yet also be the leader for a practice at the agency, and be effective at both.
- Exceptional leadership skills, with a demonstrated ability to coach and mentor others using a servant leadership mentality.
- Experience in identifying new opportunities for work and determining how the agency can best support the client objectives.
Who Is Curiosity?
Curiosity is a fast-growing independent creative solutions agency with four superpowers: strategy, creative, media, and analytics, all driven by curiosity. We use our extreme curiosity to strategically solve business and marketing challenges for courageous clients such as Procter & Gamble, Native, Brooks Running, and Western & Southern Financial Group. Recognized by The International Webby Awards for Top Social Media Campaign, Communication Arts for Digital Advertising, The Cincinnati Business Courier as a Best Place to Work. The agency also just won a Campaign US Agency of the Year Award for Best Business Development Team and a Campaign US Media Award for Best Integrated Storytelling Campaign, not to mention an AdAge Small Agency of the Year award. We ask the right questions to solve the right challenges because we believe curiosity is the key to unlocking the right solutions.